Planning & Projects Controller
Interconnector Limited operates a bi-directional natural gas pipeline and terminals linking the UK and continental European gas markets. The Interconnector offers a unique commercial service and can import and export large volumes of gas providing flexibility to customers.
We are seeking a Planning & Projects Controller to join our team in London. The Planning & Projects Controller will be responsible for the co-ordination planning, tracking, and reporting on projects and activities associated with the safe execution of project including design, manufacture, construction, installation, testing and commissioning phases. The Planning & Projects Controller will be a key member of the Engineering and projects team and the overall operations team.
The Planning & Projects Controller will help define the engineering project's goals and objectives, creating and maintaining a portfolio of project budget and schedule. They will be analysing progress, report status and recommending actions to improve progress.
Under the direction of the Engineering & Projects Manager, the Planning & Projects Controller will hold all key Capex plans and schedules and lead the development and maintenance of an Integrated Project Controls process as part of the ongoing development of the Engineering Management System and engineering workflow.
- Support the engineering team in the execution of projects from initial design, through implementation to close out using internal and external resources (outsourced providers, contractors, and specialist suppliers) as necessary to deliver the projects to schedule and within budget and maintain the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of the gas terminals and pipeline.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of an integrated plan that captures all engineering projects, key site maintenance and operational activities and planned plant outage periods.
- Accountable for ensuring the portfolio of project plans/schedules are up to date.
- With support from the Engineering Team, responsible for producing Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Permit Breakdown Structure (PBS) plans for projects prior to site installation and commissioning.
- As required, to support the Engineering & Projects Manager, act as an interface between the Engineering Team and internal and external stakeholders, including engineering contractors, system vendors, senior management, and stakeholders, to help deliver Project goals in keeping with INT policies, procedures and process including the INT Management of Change procedure.
- Work with the Engineering Team to ensure alignment and consistency of data across all projects.
- Promote a strong, positive, and open safety reporting culture throughout the company and supporting organisations to ensure compliance with HSSE requirements. Actively seek to improve safety by early identification of risks.
- Responsible for their own health and safety and that of others and undertake the obligations as defined within the INT HSSE policies and procedures.
- Engage with the Engineering, Site Operational teams, and other key stakeholders to identify and understand issues and concerns affecting project delivery performance and delivery of projects to the sites.
- Support the continuing development of the INT Engineering Management System (EMS) and associated engineering workflow.
- As part of the Integrated Project Controls and EMS development, support the Engineering Administrator & Document Controller to develop a set of key document templates for use across all engineering contractors.
- Capturing Lessons Learned across all Engineering Projects, develop a tracking/recording mechanism and ensuring all previous lessons are reviewed as part of the initiation of new projects.
- Accountable for the accurate maintenance of all cost control data for the Engineering Projects within the cost control system (SAP) by providing the necessary data to Finance Cost Control Team within the required timeframes, including regular updates of the Engineering Procurement Schedule and monthly Value of Work Done (VOWD) calculations. Support the Engineering Administrator and Finance Team in producing the monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial reports.
- Support the Engineering & Projects Manager and Head of Procurement to conduct contractor management audits and performance reviews including reviews of KPI’s.
- Support the scoping of projects and development of execution strategies.
- Assist in the preparation of cost estimates, forecast cash flow/VOWD and control expenditure against budgets
- Ensure delivery of all documentation, certification, records, and data-books on project completion, close out of projects and handover to site operations teams using the INT Management of Change procedure ensuring all related HAZOP actions and outstanding punch list items are recorded.
- Prepare material for presentation at internal and external meetings (Site KO Meetings, Board Meetings, Technical Advisory Group Meetings, Shareholder Meetings).
- Has the interest, attitude, and capacity to develop and grow within the role.
- Will receive in-post coaching and training for areas of responsibility.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Minimum of a degree in Engineering, Construction, Quantity Surveying or other related field.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a Project Controls environment in a Lead role within a Planning, Estimating, Cost, Risk or Scheduling team on large construction projects or highly regulated environment, preferably in Oil & Gas.
- Good experience in planning and reporting Oil & Gas brownfield and plant enhancement projects. Particularly reporting against objectives, milestones and KPI’s.
- Good experience of documenting projects, governance policies, processes and procedures.
- Considerable experience in planning and delivering medium to large scale projects.
- Good experience in ensuring high levels of safety, security and environmental responsibility in a regulated environment.
- A good understanding of engineering principles practices and procedures, engineering design and project experience through all phases of the project life cycle (from concept/feasibility development, through FEED to detailed design to commissioning and operational handover incorporating Management of Change processes) including modification projects for brownfield operational sites.
- If possible, design house and on-site experience with a good understanding of site works planning and executing including installation, testing and commissioning works on an operational plant (with control of work/Permit To Work considerations).
- Working in multi-disciplined engineering teams in a design house or operator engineering/project management environment.
- Experienced in the use of industry-standard software, such as Primavera P6, MS Project, AutoCAD, SAP.
- Good level of competency in SharePoint and Microsoft Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Excellent numeric and analytical skills.
- Good knowledge of Document Control processes and related Document Management Systems.
Key attributes required
- Honest & Reliable
- Trust, Transparency and Teamwork
- Hard working and efficient
- Confident communicator both oral and written
- Excellent organisational skills
- Can work effectively as part of a team, however also having the ability to work alone using their own initiative.
Behavioural competencies required
- Strong safety focus and application to help drive a strong safety culture, develop as an individual along with assisting development of the team. Strength of character to challenge processes, norms and ideas that may result in poor practice, but to do so in a positive manner in order to drive improvement.
- Performance orientated and flexible with a focus on achieving objective standards of performance. Takes others' ideas on board, and deals effectively with changes, ambiguity and conflicting information to ensure value for the organisation.
- Team orientated to help foster a ‘one team’ approach with all other INT groups, working with other departments in INT’s and the team’s best interests. Develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with all other INT departments, stakeholders and individuals.
- Structured and organised with required tasks and activities to decide what actions to take to achieve goals and meet project and operational requirements. Ability to identify and make timely interventions to regain required status where targets and progress are not maintained and where necessary escalates and raises concerns with line manager.
Key competencies required
- Good spoken and written communication skills – Able to summarise complex situations and report on key issues and priorities to key stakeholders and non-specialists. Able to facilitate productive meetings and discussions on progress and performance with suppliers, contractors, and other disciplines.
- Effective decision maker – Makes good decisions in a timely fashion. Gathers information and options, evaluates alternatives, takes others' views into account and considers risk, compromise and opportunity when making decisions.
- Problem solving – Ability to apply a systematic and analytic approach to problem solving.
- Leadership and teamwork – Self-motivated and able to motivate others and communicate a cooperative approach.
- Strategic – Ability to understand the company’s commercial and long-term goals and to align personal activities to support company’s overall objectives.
How to apply?
For further information, full job description, competency profile or to formally apply please email your CV, a covering letter and salary expectations to the HR department at email@example.com quoting the job title as a reference.
Please note that we may share your details with our selected recruitment partners in the case that we have opted to manage a campaign via a specialist third party.